The Library is the Place
The new public library strategy, 'The Library is the Place: Information, Recreation, Inspiration' was launched on 17th July 2023 by Minister for Rural and Community Development, Heather Humphreys TD. The strategy is available to read in full below.
The Library is the Place is an ambitious new five year strategy designed to support and strengthen our public library network.
The strategy contains 66 separate actions which will ensure our public libraries become multi-purpose social and educational spaces for all members of the community to enjoy.
The strategy was launched as Minister Humphreys officially opened Ireland’s newest library facility in Portlaoise, which received an investment of almost €7.5 million.
Among the highlights of the Action Plan are:
- To develop every library in the country into a multi-purpose education and social space for all members of the community;
- Treble the number of ‘My Open Library’ facilities to over 90. These provide library access between 8am-10pm, 365 days per year;
- To provide every library user in the country with access to a book club;
- To increase visitor numbers and the amount spent on books in every library year-on-year;
- To ensure the further roll-out of Outreach Library Services and mobile libraries with a particular focus on rural communities;
- 50% increase in authors’ remuneration through Public Lending Remuneration (PLR) Scheme;
- Rollout of the national “Skills for Life” umbrella programme with a focus on digital skills, financial literacy, sustainable lifestyles and environmental awareness;
- Increase the availability of services and materials in the Irish language in every library facility