Soapbox Competition 2021 -Lies, damned lies and statistics – establishing the truth is impossible in today’s world of misinformation, disinformation and propaganda.
Lies, damned lies and statistics – establishing the truth is impossible in today’s world of misinformation, disinformation and propaganda.
The topic for this years Soapbox Competition has been decided and we are looking forward to receiving your entries.
- The competition is open to all residents in the Republic or Ireland.
- Contestants will compete in one of two categories: 1) 16 and Under or 2). 17 and over. - A regional winner from each category will be selected to go forward to the National Final.
- Contestants will deliver and record a video speech of no more than 3 mins in length relevant to the soapbox topic, in favour or against the motion. Inappropriate content or language will result in automatic disqualification.
- To enter the competition, contestants will submit an official application form which is available at europdirect.ie or from any Europe Direct and a pre-recorded video of the speech to firstname.lastname@example.org
- During the recording, each contestant must wear a badge/ sticker with their name and the category in which they are competing.
- All speech recordings will be assessed by a panel of judges and equal marks awarded for content, delivery, structure and overall impact. The decision of the judges is final.
- There must be at least two contestants in each category for the competition to proceed.
- Previous winners are not eligible to enter in the same category the year immediately after winning the regional competition.
- Each Europe Direct will run an online event where the regional winners are announced, and the regional winning entries are played. Details will be given to all entrants.
- The regional winning entries will be submitted to the national final. A national panel of judges will review regional winning entries in advance of the national final which will take place on Thursday the 9th of December 2021. All entries will be played and the winners will be announced live during the event.
- The deadline for receipt of application and pre-recorded video of the speech is Thursday the 18th of November.
- Each Europe Direct will contact the winners directly to arrange presentation of the prizes, as soon as possible following the event, having regard to national COVID-19 guidelines.
Images from the event may be used for promotional purposes by the Europe Direct.