Europe Direct Blanchardstown Library Annual Soapbox Competition
This year’s Europe Direct Annual Soapbox Competition may look a little different to previous years, but we still have the same fantastic prize of an iPad and the chance to compete in the National Final. Last year, the Blanchardstown Europe Direct regional winner, Beverly Joseph went on to win the national title!
The regional soapbox competition is organised every year by the Europe Direct Information Centre based at Blanchardstown Library. This year, we move to an online format. Participants are invited to send us their 3-minute presentations by video. These will then be viewed by the panel of judges who will choose a winner and runner up.
The theme this year is: “Everyone wants to go back to the pre-Covid way of life”
The competition is open to entrants who are 18 years or under or those who are 19 years and over. Winners in both categories will receive an iPad sponsored by the EU Commission with runner up prizes sponsored by the Europe Direct Information Centre in Blanchardstown.
There is a limit of 20 entrants across both age categories. Therefore, this will be on a first come, first served basis i.e. the first 20 individuals to register will be accepted for the competition.
You can download an application form here: Soapbox 2020 Application Form
This form can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
You will then be sent details of how to send us your video. This will either be via WeSendIt or via WhatsApp. A phone number will be provided when your application is received. Videos can be recording using a smartphone or webcam.
The closing date for receiving videos is the 20th November 2020. You should send your application form well before this to guarantee your place. Only those who have sent an application form can send a video.
Participants should wear a name tag during their videos. A full name should be provided for the 19 years and over category and a first name for the 18 years and under category.
The panel of three judges will then be sent all videos and will meet online to deliberate. The result will be announced on Friday 27th November in a video posted online. This video will include the two winning entries. Please note that only the two winning entries will be broadcast in the announcement video. By entering the competition, all participants agree to this.
Winners in both categories will also go forward to the National online final in December with a chance of winning €1000.
Here is a full list of rules:
- This competition is open to all residents in the Republic of Ireland.
- Contestants will compete in one of two categories: 1) 18 and under; 2) 19 and over. A regional winner from each category will be selected to go forward to the national final.
- Contestants will deliver and record a video speech of no more than 3 mins in length relevant to the soapbox topic, in favour or against the motion. Inappropriate content or language will result in automatic disqualification.
- To enter the competition, contestants will submit an official application form which is available at europdirect.ie or from any EDIC and a pre-recorded video of the speech to the email address/WhatsApp number provided on receipt of an application form.
- During the recording, each contestant must wear a badge/ sticker with their name and the category in which they are competing.
- All speech recordings will be assessed by a panel of judges and equal marks awarded for content, delivery, structure and overall impact. The decision of the judges is final.
- There must be at least two contestants in each category for the competition to proceed.
- Previous winners are not eligible to enter in the same category the year immediately after winning the regional competition.
- Each EDIC will run an online event where the regional winners are announced, and the regional winning entries are played. Please contact your local EDIC for details.
- The regional winning entries will be submitted to the national final. A national panel of judges will review regional winning entries in advance of the national final which will take place on Wednesday 9th December, 2020. All entries will be played and the winners will be announced live during the event.
- The deadline for receipt of application and pre-recorded video of the speech is 20th November 2020.
- In light of COVID-19 restrictions, winners’ prizes cannot be presented in person at the time of the regional event and will be made available to the successful entrants as soon as possible following the event, having regard to national COVID-19 guidelines.
- Images from the event may be used for promotional purposes by the EDIC.